Overview of Nuon's historic highlights since 1995.
- Nuon organisation fully integrated with Vattenfall to form an organisation consisting of divisions instead of regional business groups.
- Start of endorsement with the Nuon logo supplemented by "Part of Vattenfall".
- Nuon Belgium sold to ENI.
- Nuon Deutschland GmbH sold to ENERVIE AG.
- At the time of the acquisition of Nuon by Vattenfall, the European Commission specified the condition that Vattenfall would have to sell Nuon Germany.
- Huib Morelisse is appointed CEO of Nuon as the successor to Øystein Løseth, who becomes CEO of Vattenfall.
- Legal split into an energy supplier (Nuon Energy) and a network manager (Alliander).
- 1 July: Vattenfall acquires 49% of the shares in Nuon and obtains operational control. Vattenfall will acquire the remaining 51% of the shares over the next six years under fixed conditions. Nuon becomes the third regional Business Group within Vattenfall: Business Group Benelux. Nuon will continue to operate under its own brand name for at least four years.
- Organisational and operational split into an energy supplier (Nuon Energy) and a network manager (Alliander).
- Øystein Løseth becomes CEO of Nuon as the successor to Ludo van Halderen.
- Law on independent network operation (WON) adopted: network companies must henceforth operate independently of production and delivery companies.
- Official opening of the first Dutch offshore wind farm, built by Nuon and Shell.
2005 - 2006
- Focus on improving customer satisfaction and administrative processes.
- Successful completion of shedding non-core activities.
- Complete liberalisation of the Dutch energy market: everyone in the Netherlands is free to switch energy suppliers.
- Nuon enters the Belgian market.
- Acquisition and integration of Reliant Energy Netherlands.
- Start of shedding activities not directly related to energy.
- Emphasis on streamlining operational processes.
2000 - 2003
- Further integration of the merged companies
- International expansion, including entry into the German market
- In 2000 Nuon and Natuurmonumenten (Dutch natural monument conservation organisation) conclude an agreement for jointly stimulating sustainable energy in the Netherlands for the coming ten years.
- In 2001, the Nuna1 participates for the first time in the World Solar Challenge, a biennial race across Australia for solar-powered cars.
1995 - 1999
- Introduction of the Nuon house style; the company cars in yellow/purple livery become part of the street scene.
- In 1999, Nuon NV is formed by the merger of Nuon with Energie Noord West, EWR and Gamog.
- 1 January 1994: Nuon arises from PGEM (energy company for Gelderland and Flevoland), which achieved the merger with the Frisian PEB.
Would you like to know more about the origin and history of Nuon and the companies that gave rise to Nuon? Nuon's lineage goes back to 1845.